Well, after Googling ever combination of Welsh, Author, Book, Reading, Challenge, etc, that I could think of, I can’t find a single reading challenge that focuses on my own family heritage (that’d be Welsh, if you didn’t guess it already ). So, what better to make my very first sponsored challenge than a Welsh one?
I’m both nervous and excited about starting a book challenge, especially since I’ve got such a focused reading plan for this year. How can I fit more books in? But if I don’t plan to read them, I may never “be in the mood” to read books I really DO want to read. Which is why I decided to create the WELSH READING CHALLENGE
So the first thing a challenge needs is a button, and I got that. It’s not the most incredibly creative, I suppose, and if anyone wants to make one for it, I’m open to it.
1. So next we need some rules…
Read at least one book in 2010 that is either by a Welsh author, takes place in Wales, or is about Welsh people (immigrants, descendants, etc). Pretty simple
2. And now we need levels to shoot for:
Efydd bathodyn (bronze medal) – Read one to three Welsh-related books between now and December 31st, 2010 to receive a bronze medal.
Arian bathodyn (silver medal) – Read four to six Welsh-related books by December 31st, 2010 for the silver medal rank.
Aur bathodyn (gold medal) – Read seven or more Welsh-related books in before the end of 2010 and be a gold-medalist!
I’m planning to read one Welsh-related book per month which will put me well into the Aur bathodyn range (BTW, I do not speak Welsh… try as I might, I have no one to practice with so my Cymraeg pretty much always sucks… so it’s quite possible that I’ve totally botched up the translations. I used this online translator, so if you know the correct terms, leave a comment and I’ll correct it.)
3. Post about it on your blog, leave a comment here to let me know and leave the link of reviews. I’d love to make a page and do a monthly update of what everyone’s doing. LOL.. though, everyone may just be me. You can list which books you plan to read, but you don’t have to.
Here are a list of participants so far:
- The Kool-Aid Mom (In the Shadow of Mt. TBR)
- Mona Everett
- Aatari (BookLust)
- Sally906 (Sally906′s Reading Challenges)
- Ex Libris
- Eibhlin (Commuter Reads)
- Lynda (Lynda’s Book Blog)
- Amanda (Life and Times of a “New” New Yorker)
- Jennie (Biblio File)
- Grad (The Curious Reader)
- Sandra (Fresh Ink Books)
- Pam (Bookalicio.us)
- Gaabriel Becket (Americymru)
- Amateur Reader (Wuthering Expectations)
- Fleur Fisher (Fleur Fisher reads)
Be sure to sign up with Mr. Linky
If I’ve missed your name and blog, let me know! I’d love to add you, too Also, I do want to do prizes, and have been thinking about how to do it and what to give, so let me know if you have any ideas!